Although the process is fairly simple it does require several detailed steps.
The following step-by-step instructions are provided courtesy of DFAS. For easy reference you may want to print these directions before continuing.
Instructions for Creating a myPay Account
1. If you have not done so already, access the myPay Web site by going to
2. Locate the “Account Access” section on the left-hand side of the homepage.
3. Within this section, locate the light blue-colored box containing the words “If you are a new customer OR haven’t established a Login ID, enter your SSN below:”
4. Enter your Social Security Number in the field provided and click the “Go”
5. A new window will open containing the myPay Virtual Keyboard. Using your
mouse on the Virtual Keyboard (or a combination of the tab key and space bar on
your actual computer keyboard), select the numeric characters of the 8-digit
temporary password that you previously received from myPay. The characters of
your selection will automatically appear masked in the edit field. If you make a
mistake, click the blue “Backspace” button to erase the previous character entered
or the blue “Clear” button to erase all of the characters entered. Once you have
entered your password, click the “Accept/Submit” button.
6. Read the System Message explaining the myPay conditions of use and User
Agreement, then click the check box to agree to the terms and conditions and
click the “OK” button.
7. A new window will open containing two steps: “Step One: Create Login ID” and
“Step Two: Create Password.”
8. Locate “Step 1: Create Login ID.” Read the criteria for creating a new Login ID.
Using your actual computer keyboard, enter your new Login ID in the edit field
beside the words “Establish Your Login ID.” Be sure that your new Login ID
conforms to the specified criteria. HINT: An e-mail address may be used as a
9. Scroll down and locate “Step 2: Create Password.” Read the criteria for creating
a new Password. Using the myPay Virtual Keyboard, select the alpha, numeric,
and special characters of your new Password. The characters of your selection
will automatically appear masked in the edit field beside the words “Your New
Password.” Be sure that your new Password conforms to the specified criteria.
10. Click the radio button to the left of the words “Re-enter Your Password” and,
using the myPay Virtual Keyboard, again select the alpha, numeric, and special
characters of your new Password. The characters of your selection will
automatically appear masked in the appropriate edit field. Click the
11. You will see a message confirming that your new Login ID and Password have
been established. Click the “To continue, click here” button. NOTE: If you
receive a message telling you that your Login ID and Password customization
failed, it may be because the Login ID that you selected is already being used by
another member. No two members can have the same Login ID. Simply try
again using a different Login ID.
12. If myPay has your e-mail address on file, the next screen will ask you to validate your e-mail address (continue to Step 13). If myPay does not have your e-mail
address on file, you will be asked to provide one. Enter your e-mail address in
both edit fields and click the “Accept/Submit” button. You will be asked to
confirm that the e-mail address you provided is correct. If it is correct, click the
“Yes” button. If not, click the “No” button and enter your e-mail address again.
13. You will be asked to certify the e-mail address(es) on file. If the information is
correct, click the “Accept/Submit” button. Next, you will be asked to confirm
that the e-mail address(es) you provided is correct. If correct, click the “Yes”
button. If not, click the “No” button and correct the information accordingly.
14. After you have confirmed your e-mail address, you will see a screen
acknowledging that your certification has been successfully completed. Click the
“To continue, click here” button and you will be presented with the myPay main
menu of options.
If you require further assistance after referring to these instructions, please contact the DFAS Customer Care Center by calling toll free 1-888-332-7411 or DSN
580-5096 and selecting Option #5 for myPay.
Their hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.