However, before you can receive any TRICARE benefits you must first register in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Once that's completed, you'll then need to enroll your child into TRICARE. For your convenience, you can find information on DEERS enrollment here and TRICARE enrollment here.
If your child is already enrolled in DEERS and TRICARE you can begin using the following services.
Newborn Care: TRICARE covers routine newborn care while your infant is still in the hospital, to include circumcision and screenings that are recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. If you're choosing to breastfeed, TRICARE also covers counseling and guidance, should you need it.
As your child grows and develops, TRICARE also covers:
- Eye and vision screenings at birth and then again at 6 months of age. Beginning at age three, TRICARE covers routine eye exams that are conducted by an ophthalmologist or optometrist. Under the well-child program this benefit is for kids through age six. If the dependent is covered under TRICARE prime he or she is eligible to receive free eye exams every two years.
- Hearing test. The first exam usually occurs while your child is still a newborn in the hospital and will continue at each well-child exam.
- Annual blood pressure screenings for kids between the ages of three and six.
- Routine immunizations (see detailed list below)
- TB test
- A urinalysis will be conducted once during the first 12 months and once during the 2nd year.
- Head circumference measurements for newborn through age 2.
- Blood lead test during each well-child visit that occurs beginning when your child is six months old and continuing until age six.
- Metabolic and heredity screening
- Dental screenings
Please go to the TRICARE Web site's Vaccines page to see a list of restrictions and recommended ages for each of the vaccines listed below.
- Diptheria and Tetanus (DT/TD)
- Haemophilus Influenzae (Hib)
- Hepatitus A Virus (HAV)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV): Vaccination for Cervical Cancer.
- Influenza A: Flu shot, inactivated.
- Fluzone High Dose
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella (MMRV)
- Meningococcal: Meningitis vaccination.
- Pneumovax-23 (PPSV23): Pneumonia vaccination.
- Prevnar-13 (PCV13): Pneumonia vaccination.
- Poliomyelitis: Polio vaccination.
- Rubella (also known as German Measles)
- Tetanus Booster
- Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis (Tdap/DTaP)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
Coverage of Other Health Issues/Needs
There are many other health-related issues that your child may encounter. For information pertaining to what TRICARE does and doesn't cover please select your area of interest from the list below:
- Allergy Testing and Treatment
- Occupational Therapy
- Oral Surgery
- Orthopedic Braces
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
If you have questions regarding your TRICARE coverage please don't hesitate to contact a representative in your TRICARE region. For your convenience the regions and their accompanying phone numbers are listed below.
North Region: 1-877-874-2273
States covered in the North Region: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, portions of Iowa, Missouri, and Tennessee.
South Region: 1-800-444-5445
States covered in the South Region: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee (not the Ft. Campbell area which is part of the North Region) and Texas (not the El Paso area which is part of the West Region).
West Region: 1-888-874-9378
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa (not the Rock Island Arsenal area which is part of the North Region), Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri (not the St. Louis area which is part of the North Region), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas , Utah, Washington and Wyoming.